Feb 18 2019
Stone Ward Monthly Insights: Top 5 Nielsen Media Trends
by Brett Parker
Learn the top 5 Nielsen media facts that you need to know in 2019. Our Director of Media Services, Brett Parker, shares his findings! If you're interested in learning more, check out our articles on the Principles of Media Management and Why You Should be Working with a Google Partner.
Hello, I’m Brett Parker, Director of Media Services. I often get asked lots of questions from clients as it relates to forecasting media trends.
- Which channels should I buy?
- Which channels should I avoid?
- How has media changed in the past year?
Though these are complex questions with many different answers, I’m here today to give you the top five points I’ve identified per the recently released Nielsen total audience media report. A report that focuses on media forecasts and trend patterns against all age groups.
- Most media usage occurs during prime hours. US adults spend more time with total media from 9 to 10 p.m. than any other hour throughout the day.
- 9 pm. is also the sweet spot for t.v. consumption. During this hour consumers spend over half their media consumption watching television.
- Total radio listening follows a peak and valley trend line. Radio remains consistent throughout the morning and into the afternoon peaking at 12 p.m. and then taking a noticeable dip until the next morning.
- Digital is consistent. Unlike other media, digital utilizes a consistent trend line. From 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. the largest fluctuation by time spent is within one minute.
- Digital and TV should always be planned and purchased together. 45% of respondents watch TV while using digital devices. Even during live, non-recorded events.
Well, that sums up my quarterly findings this time. Thanks for being part of our monthly Stone Ward Insight Program. I hope enjoyed these quick and condensed media findings.
If you ever have any media questions please feel free to email me directly at email@example.com
Have a great day!