As cliche as the title sounded, I thought it was pretty apropos for the subject of creativity. Creativity is defined as the ability to perceive the world in new ways, to find hidden patterns, to make connections between seemingly unrelated phenomena and to generate solutions. Notice that the definition doesn’t state how creativity is achieved, just that it is an ability — one that we all have since we are able to think (hopefully).
As a designer/creative, it is often assumed that we are more creative than the average person. However, I believe we are just taught to harness the ability and push it further. Everyone has a degree of creativity it can just vary – from coding to creating something physical to drawing to spreadsheet genius. Everyone has the ability and the capabilities – some just show it in a more tangible way.
One of the problems with creativity is that oftentimes we get stuck. Work, life, stress, etc., will drain us and leave us feeling like there’s nothing left. We will find ourselves drifting off when trying to focus or getting frustrated because that idea just won’t come. Well, here’s a solution for you – but I warn you, it’s going be cheesy. Yeah, it’s Babybel cheese, so get one and get ready to unleash your creativity.
- Remove the side tabs. The paper doesn’t mesh well with the wax.
- Eat the cheese. Good food often calms anxiety, and protein will kick the brain in gear.
- Squish, squish, squish the wax between your hands’ until the heat from them melts it into a ball.
- On a washable surface, roll the wax out until it’s a long snake. *If the wax is too warm and it sticks to the surface do it on your hands.*
- Remove a small section and save it for later.
- Push your thumb down into the wax right after the other and vary the sizes a bit.
- Roll it up making sure to vary the edges to create depth.
- Plump the petals.
- Tear the small section into two-three pieces and shape into rose petals.
- Form these around the edges to hide the edges.
Congrats, you just made a rose!
You now just did something out of the ordinary during a work day. You made something physical with your hands and the amount of concentration on it hopefully helped relax your brain a bit to think about other things, plus…you MADE this! How cool is that? Even if you followed the directions to the letter your rose is unique to you, because you made it with your hands and your hands are different than mine, and so is your creativity.
For more sculptures made at Stone Ward checkout @inamasque on Instagram