Updated February 2022
We get it all the time. “How can I get an internship at Stone Ward?” Well my friends, here are five tips to upping your chances of getting into Camp Reality.
- Know the different roles at an ad agency: Our candidates are asked to choose the two departments they want to work in. When I see that they chose Copywriting and Media, I know that this person has no idea, a) how an agency works, and b) what he or she wants to be at an agency. Which leads me to #2.
- Know what you want to do as an advertising professional: If you want to be a writer, sign up for copywriting and public relations. If you want to be an art director, sign up for design and social media. Match the department to the skills you want to learn.
- Understand that this is a job interview: If we set up a time to talk on the phone about the internship, be prepared. Say yes ma’am and no sir. Don’t call me “Dude.” Turn down your music, and your roommate. If you are asked to come in, be on time. But don’t be 15 minutes early. That’s just as irritating as being late.
- Be excited: Seriously. This is a great opportunity. Let me know you are excited that you are even getting a phone call and being considered for the position. We want eager people who are thrilled at the chance to show us what they’ve got.
- If you are offered the internship, by all means, take it: I had a candidate a few years ago who I offered the position to and this person actually asked if they could let me know on Friday because they had also applied for another internship they really wanted. I said thanks for your time, but never mind. I gave it to someone else.
There’s more to getting into Camp Reality than these five steps. But this is a good start. And if you are selected to be part of Camp Reality, there are some things you can do to make the most of it. I’ll get into those in another post.
Deadline for applicants is March 17, 2023. Start your application today!